6 Pack Captains License
Any applicant who has successfully completed your Captain’s License (OUPV) (MARTOW-340) course and presents our Certificate of Training within one year of the completion of training, will satisfy the examination requirements of 46 CFR 11.903 (a)(24) for original issuance, 46 CFR 10.227(e)(1)(iii) for renewal, and 46 CFR 10.227(i)(1) for reissuance of a merchant mariner endorsement as Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels (OUPV) Upon Near Coastal, or Great Lakes and Inland, or Inland Waters. The course completion certificate issued upon successful completion of this course is valid for one application which results in the issuance of an endorsement(s) and may not be used for future application transactions.
Mariners who qualify for our Masters License course can take this course immediately following this course. Our Masters Upgrade course is 3 additional days for a total of 10 days.
What is the OUPV License?
The USCG 6 pack Captain’s License allows the holder to Captain uninspected vessels up to 100 gross tons (about 75-90 feet long). Most pleasure vessels are in the uninspected vessel category due to the materials and method of construction. As such, these vessels are limited to 6 paying passengers plus crew – hence the term “6-pack”.
The OUPV License is issued in two forms:
6 pack Captains License-Inland
Requires at least 360 days experience in the operation of vessels. 90 of the 360 days must be in the last 3 years. Experience gained prior to the age of 16 will not be counted.
This license is good on vessels less than 100 gross tons.
- This license is restricted to operation within the Boundary Lines ( as described in the USCG application package) excluding the Great Lakes. This license is good on uninspected vessels less than 100 gross tons.
- This license can be upgraded to a OUPV Near Coastal once you have achieved 90 days experience outside the Boundary Lines.
6 pack Captains License-Near Coastal
This license also requires at least 360 days experience in the operation of vessels, 90 of which must be gained outside the Boundary Lines.
90 of the 360 days must be in the last 3 years. Experience gained prior to the age of 14 will not be counted. This license is good on vessels less than 100 gross tons.
Experience can be counted on your own vessel. A letter and proof of ownership are required. Experience on other persons’ vessels can also be counted however, a letter from the owner to a sea service form signed by the owner must accompany the application verifying experience claimed and vessel details.
6 pack Captains License Requirements
The primary requirements are:
- Age 18 or over
- 360 days underway experience
- 90 of those days in the last 3 years
- Physical, drug test and eye exam
- Valid CPR/First Aid card (American Red Cross, Heart Assoc. or USCG Approved course)
- Completion of the USCG exam OR
- Completion of a USCG approved USCG approved course
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC Card )
Captains License + Gold Membership
With this plan you will have access to our Gold Membership for 3 months.
Our Gold Membership includes access to:
- Navigation Rules of the Road
- Chart Plotting
- Deck Safety
- Deck General